Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 cups frozen, cubed butternut squash
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Plain yogurt and cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Add onions.
- Cover, cook until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes
- Add curry powder and cayenne pepper, stir 30 seconds
- Add squash and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low
- Cover and let simmer until squash is very tender, about 30 minutes
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth and return to same pot.
- Season with salt and pepper, adding more cayenne if desired. (Can be made one day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving)
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with dollop of yogurt, if desired, and cilantro.